Date / time
Date(s) - 08/10/2018
12:30 pm - 1:30 pm
Crowne Plaza Hotel
This session will consider the changes to police investigations brought in at the beginning of 2018, focussing in particular on the JUSTICE Scotland report Legal Assistance in the Police Station. Anyone might find themselves suspected of crime and arrested by the police. They may be involved and have the right to a defence. They may be in the wrong place at the wrong time. How do we make sure everyone knows about their important right to legal assistance during police detention and can make use of it? This session discusses what this right is about and how to better inform the public.
- Chair: Catherine Smith, Vice Chair JUSTICE Scotland
- Rona Mackay, MSP, Deputy Convener, Justice Committee
- Ian Moir, Convenor, Law Society of Scotland’s Criminal Legal Aid Negotiation Team
- Joanna Cherry QC MP, Member of Parliament for Edinburgh South West, SNP Front bench Spokesperson for Justice and Home Affairs
- Jodie Blackstock, Legal Director, JUSTICE
The event will take place at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Glasgow.